Description of the picture:
Pechersky Monastery near Nizhny Novgorod – Savras. 1871. Oil on canvas. 101.5×215; 131 cm
The painting “Pechersky Monastery near Nizhny Novgorod” (also there are variations with the unions “under” and “u”) is devoted primarily to the Volga. The painter admired the grandeur of the Volga landscapes and sought to transfer his admiration to the canvas. This work is the largest in size from a series of dedicated to the Volga. Many art historians agree that this picture can be called a harbinger of the Volga landscapes of Levitan.
At the foot of the hill, a beautiful view of a small provincial town opens – the expanse of water has spread widely, clouds are running fast, slender trees swing in the wind, and in all this natural splendor you can see the roofs of houses. The viewer’s gaze certainly rushes to the horizon, where the outlines of the white monastery, deliberately highlighted by the artist’s hand, are visible. A change in the color palette is also visible in the image of the sky – it is lighter and cleaner.
The painting was awarded the first prize of the competition organized by the Society for the Encouragement of Artists in 1871, and was immediately bought by Pavel Tretyakov, and after 60 years found a new home – the Nizhny Novgorod Art Museum, which is quite logical."